Saturday, January 2, 2010

Nothing Says "2010" Like Coasters

Yes. Another freakin' post about coasters.

This was my little go-to gift this year. They take minimal supplies and I can whip up a set of six in just a couple of hours.

I gave a set to The Boy and The Girl's teachers along with a gift card.

I let them pick the yarn. I now question that decision.

The Boy chose
camo yarn. Since it was a brown camo it didn't look too Rambo-esque.

The Girl chose a very bright variegated rainbow colored yarn. I tried to tone it down with a yellow border.

God bless her teacher.

This is the set I made for my room mom. She did an excellent job planning the holiday party and gave me immense support when I was out with the swine flu.

She really deserves an afghan, but I don't have the best track record when it comes to finishing afghans.


I used environmentally friendly yarn for this set. It had a nice feel and the weight was substantial without being too heavy. They should wear well.

This last set has yet to find a home. The color scheme should look familiar. If I can't find a taker I just might keep them for myself.

You might notice that I stumbled upon a couple new coaster patterns.

The Rambo coasters can be found here.

I found the pattern for The Girl's rainbow coasters and my room mom's coasters here. This is a really simple pattern. Perfect for a beginner.

I used my all-time favorite coaster pattern for the other two sets. I have it memorized. It is timeless. I wish I could give credit to someone, but I found it in an old "How to Crochet" book circa 1984 that my grandmother passed on to me years ago. I can't claim it as my own, but I will gladly share it.

Timeless Coasters:

materials-
100% cotton worsted weight yarn, crochet hook size H (5.00)

Ch 3, join with a slip st to form a ring.

Rnd 1 (right side): Ch 1, 7 sc in ring; join with a slip st to first sc

Rnd 2: Ch 2 (counts as first hdc), hdc in same st, 2 hdc in each sc around; join with slip st to first hdc: 14 hdc.

Rnd 3: Ch 3 (counts as first dc, now and throughout), skip next hdc, (3 dc in next hdc, skip next hdc) around, 2 dc in same st as first dc; join with slip st to first dc: 21 dc.

Rnd 4: Slip st in sp before next dc, ch 3, dc in same sp, skip next dc, 3 hdc in next dc, skip next dc, *2 dc in sp before next dc, skip next dc, 3 hdc in next dc, skip next dc; repeat from * around; join with a slip st to first dc: 35 sts.

Rnd 5: Ch 1, sc in same st and in next 2 sts, 3 sc in next hdc, (sc in next 4 sts, 3 sc in next hdc) around to last hdc, sc in last hdc; join with slip st to first sc: 49 sc.

Rnd 6: Ch 3, dc in next 2 sc, hdc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc, hdc in next sc, *dc in next 4 sc, hdc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc, hdc in next sc; repeat from * around to last sc, dc in last sc; join with a slip st to first dc, finish off.

Weave in yarn ends.