Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Belts

This weekend, while watching the UT-Tech game, I did some crocheting. It keeps me from chewing my fingernails into the quick. I tend to have very sore fingers during football and basketball season.

I wanted to make something quick. Something easy. Something mindless. I didn't want to keep track of stitches or rows.

This is what I came up with:

A simple belt. It is one long row of single crochet repeated until it is the width desired. Oh so mindless. And easy. And quick.

I used Sugar 'n Cream cotton yarn. I use it for all those dishcloths and coasters I make. I like the fact that the stitches stayed really tight. It made the belt feel more substantial and sturdy.

Here's my belt, inspired by UT colors, of course. I have seen these belts before. Usually, they are made from cloth. I have even seen crochet versions, but they are usually thicker and more decorative. I was wanting something that would work with jeans and a t-shirt.

The Girl liked my belt so much that she asked me to make her one.

She wanted a pink version.

Shocker.

And she wanted to model it. She likes the fact that it adds a touch of pink to her school uniform colors, which she finds utterly boring.

The Girl is pleased, although she has made it known that the next one should have sparkles.