Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Opposite of Like

Warning.

If you are looking for a happy-smiley-feel-good post, this is not it. Not today. I don't have it in me.

I've had a rough couple of weeks.

I've been fighting the good fight, to no avail. And I'm tired. Worn out.

Please...put away your violins.

We have a saying in this house: "ride the wave". When things are rough for whatever reason, be it sickness, stress, angst...we ride the wave instead of fighting against it. There is a process to working through such things.

I have my process. And I'm currently riding the wave.

With that in mind, I know I usually write posts about things that put a smile on my face.

Today I'm making another sort of list: The Opposite of Like.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Being surrounded by mud all day.

Our school is old and will be torn down. The new school is being built next door.

I have learned that there is a lot of dirt laying around when something as large as a school is under construction. When it rains this dirt turns to mud. It also causes the rain to drain and puddle all around our current location.

The playground is just lovely. And young children are so diligent about staying away from things like puddles and mud holes. No. Those aren't tempting at all. Not for young children.

And the scenery. Stunning. Very uplifting.

*Laundry.

I. Hate. Laundry.

Specifically, I hate folding laundry. The Offspring often go digging for socks in that clean basket of clothes. The Mr. has grown accustomed to fishing for some clean underwear amidst the t-shirts, pajama bottoms, panties, and endless pairs of socks.

It is my nemesis. It mocks me. It never ends. And I'm utterly sick of climbing Clean Laundry Mountain.

*Taking vitamins.

I'm not disciplined about taking those daily supplements. The Mr. even bought me one of those weekly pill keepers.

I was terrible about refilling it.

So he offered to fill it for me. That dear Mr. of mine.

Now I just forget to take the darn things. I have a full pill keeper in my backpack right now. It's been there for over a month.

I guess I'll just be deficient.

*Getting up early.

Oh, that blasted alarm clock. The first word to enter my mind each and every alarm-waking day is not appropriate for young ears.

I'm not a morning person. Nor is The Mr., The Boy, or The Girl. This is a good thing on weekends, but not so much when trying to stir my loves from their peaceful slumber.

The mornings can get pretty ugly at our house.

That's why we listen to this song at high decibels and sing it at the top of our lungs while making our way to school.

It's our theme song.

*Jazz.

I just don't get it.

I know that makes me some musical Neanderthal.

I'll accept my label.

*Homework.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about reading together or practicing some sight words or math facts. That is learning that can easily blend into the evening routine.

But I do have a problem with children in kindergarten, first, and second grade having homework every stinking night. I don't know about you, but after my kids have been in school all day...sitting, listening, concentrating...the last thing they want to do when arriving home is
more work.

Even the older kids are over-loaded in my opinion. Fifth graders should not be spending their entire evening sitting at a table doing assignments. Really...they are 10.

They are kids. They need to play. They need to burn off energy. They need to be creative. They need to use their imagination.

Not sitting in front of a worksheet.

*Whistling.

Whistling is one of my biggest pet peeves.

I can stand about 4.5 seconds and then I will tell you to please stop. If it continues, I might smack you.

*Chewing noises.

Chewing noises can't be helped. I'm sure that when I chew I make noises too. That doesn't mean that they don't drive me batty.

Music or the television is always playing during supper at our house.

Problem solved.

*Now that I think of it, all little repetitive noises bug me.

Pencil rolling, pencil tapping, foot tapping, finger drumming.

Please refrain.

*This show.

The Mr. used to watch it. Past tense.

The people on this show are *such* *tools*. How they are famous and have a show of their own is beyond me.

I find myself becoming angry when it's on. Totally irrational, I know. But it is what it is.

*Footwear with toes.

I don't think I need to explain this one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I find you can learn a lot about a person, not only by what they like, but what they don't like.

I guess our relationship has matured.

Now you know not to show up at my house before 9am wearing toe shoes while whistling a jazz tune.