Sunday, September 19, 2010

What's For Dinner?

The good news: this week marks the first day of fall. The bad news: Houston's weather has not been informed of this fact.

Ah, well. The brainwashing will continue.

Sunday: chicken & dumplings (rescheduled from last week)

Monday: taco soup

Tuesday: chicken, brown rice, and vegetable casserole, tomato & cucumber salad

Wednesday: roast with vegetables (in the crockpot), green beans with garlic

Thursday: leftovers

Friday: hamburgers, oven fries, tomato salad

Saturday: out

I am baking this week! I'm making the same apple oat cake that I whipped up last week. We finished it in two days. It was insane.

I'm also going to make some pumpkin muffins. Jodi made some last week that looked so good. I'm leaving out the chocolate chips, because I'm a bit mental and don't like them in my muffins. I think I'll add some oats for bulk. They can stand in for breakfast or as a side to a cup of tea in the afternoon.

I made the chicken & dumplings tonight. *Holy smokes*. It was so good. I was in Heaven. I'd been craving this childhood favorite for so long and man, this batch hit the spot.

I have a handful of recipes that I've tried out over the last couple of weeks that have piqued interest from a lot of you. The fact that they also turned out to be quite easy and tasty got me thinking: How does a semi-regular post highlighting a simple, healthy, and flavorful weeknight meal sound? If you are like me, the search for dinners that can be assembled "on the fly" never ends. I would be more than happy to lend a helping hand and post the meals that were a success.

I have at least five in my arsenal right now that fit the bill, along with a couple of baked treats. I'll post a couple this week and go from there. Does this sound like something you'd be interested in reading?

The Mr. and I had a great weekend sans Offspring.

The LP release was a wild success. The in-store performance had a really good turn-out and quite a few albums were sold. If you haven't given it a listen, you are missing out. It's free for goodness' sake! You only have something to gain. I had it on while in the car and totally forgot that The Offspring were sitting in the backseat. It must be good if you can block-out two children.

The show later that evening was mint, despite having two opening acts that were a disgrace to music. BMOL's sound check got a louder response than the other two bands' entire set. It only made the night more entertaining, really. I enjoyed some time catching up with old friends, hanging with current friends, and meeting some new friends who couldn't have been more cool.

In addition to the rock & roll, we ate sushi. Listened to loud music in the car. Drank beer at four in the afternoon. Cheered the Longhorns on to another victory. Ate french fries that were a lot like these. And did not clean up one mess or listen to a single whine.

I hope your weekend was just as nice, with or without the music, football, beer, fried food, or silence.