Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What's For Dinner?

I wrote this week's menu after drinking a glass (translation: 3 glasses) of wine. Here's what I came up with...

Sunday: quinoa big bowl (from last week), salad

Monday: pasta with alfredo sauce and broccoli, salad

Tuesday: avocado-wasabi salad

Wednesday: black bean and sweet potato enchiladas, sweet corn, salad, avocado

Thursday: tofu scramble, veggie sausage, sweet potato home fries, fruit

Friday: veggie burgers (4th time's a charm, no?)

Saturday: out

So far, the wine made some good choices.

The quinoa big bowl was really good. The flavors involved were quite simple. I think that's what made it so tasty. I changed the original recipe a bit: I used roasted sweet potatoes, a red onion, and added roasted portobello mushrooms and sautéed bok choy. I think the sweet potatoes and mushrooms made the dish. The Mr. added a bit of balsamic dressing over the top. I needed no additional oomph.

The pasta and alfredo sauce was good, but I wouldn't call it a true alfredo sauce. It was more like macaroni and cheese. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The Boy ate three helpings. Little did he know that there was not one bit of cheese in his beloved mac & cheese. The Girl decided that it didn't taste good based solely on the shape of the pasta. She can be maddening.

Tonight I made the avocado-wasabi salad. Wow. Big yumz on this one. I doubled the amount of wasabi that the recipe called for, but I have little restraint when it comes to wasabi. I suggest tasting as you go.

I've started making granola and baking bread. More on that later...

Because of all the granola-making and bread-baking, other sweet endeavors are being postponed.

But I'm not having to do without. The Mr. has been bringing me a vegan chocolate chip cookie every few days.

I guess that warrants me shaving my legs. *wink*

Next week is our spring break. I'm taking the week off from menu-making. I'm putting away the cookbooks, getting out of the kitchen, and I'm determined to make something that doesn't involve a food product.

Because this ain't a food blog, yo.

But until then, you'll have to deal with my wild kitchen endeavors.

'Ta!