Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Quilt Top

Mema gave me this quilt top when I stayed with her this summer. She spent five years chipping away at it between crocheted afghans. I can see why. There is a lot of detail. A lot.

All of the pieces were cut by hand and then stitched on top of a basic quilt design. There are hundreds of little leaves, vines, and petals of various prints. I can't imagine how difficult it was just to keep it all organized.

If you look closely you can see the embroidered center on some of the leaves. Perfect little split stitches added here and there. Lovely.

As I left,
Mema handed it to me and said, "Here Podunk. This is yours. I trust you to finish it off and give it a good home."

Whoa.

I will admit that it isn't really "my style". I doubt I will ever put it on my bed.

But I respect the work that went into this quilt to bring it to fruition. I appreciate the detail. And I love it because it came from
Mema. I love that she trusts me to be a part of a project such as this.

And that's what has me stumped and frankly, a little intimidated.

It's huge. And appliqued.

I know my funky wavy-line quilting is not going to work. I don't even know how to quilt something that has been appliqued to the extent that this is.

Help.