Monday, March 30, 2009

Tastes As Good As It Looks


This is such a simple meal. Simple list of ingredients. Simple flavors. And it's simply pretty.

I was not raised in a house where "presentation" was important. My mom is the queen of skillet dishes. If you have ever enjoyed a skillet dish you know that it may be tasty, but a looker it is not. I have never really felt the need for fancy food presentation either. I appreciate the sprinkling of fresh basil or chopped parsley on top, but I tend to skip that step when I am getting food on the table.

I try to make up for my lack of radish flowers and mint sprigs with attractive serving dishes. Vintage, if possible. My collection of refrigerator dishes and Pyrex bowls make even the sloppiest of skillet dishes look dressed up.


Which brings me to this meal. This looks like spring on a plate. No fancy drizzle of truffle oil around the edge of the plate needed. The fact that it tastes as good as it looks: even better.


All that is left is a clean plate.