Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Tunic

I don't know what made me start a project the night before The Boy's birthday party. But that's just what I did.

Maybe it was the allure of the "One Hour Pattern" description printed on the envelope. Maybe it was the fact that I had all materials on hand. I had been wanting to make something for me to wear for a while. And tunics are a personal favorite. The perfect blend of retro and bohemian.

I used this pattern: Butterick 5211. View C. The green material is broadcloth. It was fairly thin and had some drape. The sleeves are made with some cotton fabric found in the remnant bin.

This is actually the first pattern that I modified. Granted, the modifications are pretty simple. I shortened it from the dress length shown to a more appropriate tunic length. I also added a band of material at the bottom to match the sleeves. It was that missing piece of the puzzle.

The back closes with a piece of hair elastic (another mod) and a button to match. I think it ties the contrasting fabric to the green really well. And it was zippers!

I am sure there are those of you out there that could complete this in an hour. I am not one of them. But I can see it going much faster next time.

And there just might be a next time.

View A might be cool to have as well...